- Pentagon At Odds with Trump Over Troop Withdrawal from Syria
Top Pentagon and US State Department officials have adopted a totally different policy than that of President Donald Trump regarding the withdrawal of American troops from Syria, saying that the United States will not be leaving the war-torn Arab country anytime soon as the “mission is not over.”
Addressing a forum in Washington, DC, on Tuesday, US Central Command Chief General Joseph Votel said “well over 90 percent” of land once held by the Daesh (ISIL) Takfiri terrorist group in Iraq and Syria had been recaptured, particularly in the north and eastern parts of the country, but added that the military must maintain its presence there.
“There still are some areas where they are present and that we will have to continue to operate on,” Votel said. Speaking alongside Votel, the State Department’s senior envoy to the so-called anti-Daesh coalition, Brett McGurk, agreed that “ISIL is not finished.” “We are in Syria to fight ISIL. That is our mission and our mission isn’t over, and we’re going to complete that mission,” McGurk said.
The comments were made shortly after Trump said the US would withdraw troops from Syria “very soon,” and that he intended to “bring our troops back home.”