- EU Chief Says Europe Must ‘Replace the US’ as World Superpower as He Attacks Trump Over Iran Deal and Accuses America of Turning Its Back on Allies
by By JULIAN ROBINSON FOR MAILONLINE and ARIEL ZILBER and FRANCESCA CHAMBERS, WHITE HOUSE CORRESPONDENT and DAVID MARTOSKO, U.S. POLITICAL EDITOR FOR DAILYMAIL.COM
* Jean-Claude Juncker says US ‘no longer wants to cooperate’ with other parts of the world
* EU Commission President said it was up to Europe to take on mantle of the US
* Comes amid fury in Tehran after Donald Trump pulled out of Iran nuclear deal
* Iranian politicians torched the US flag, chanting ‘death to America’ in parliament
* Trump plans to impose sanctions and punish countries helping Iran
* Iran’s supreme leader warned this morning that the US ‘can’t do a damn thing’
* Russia’s Vladimir Putin said he was seriously concerned by the ‘acute’ situation
EU chief Jean-Claude Juncker has attacked the US for turning its back on its allies and says Europe must take America’s place as global leader after Donald Trump‘s decision to pull out of the Iran nuclear deal.
The EU Commission President said America ‘no longer wants to cooperate’ with other parts of the world and is turning away from friendly relations ‘with a ferocity that can only surprise us.’
Trump has sparked fury in Tehran by withdrawing from the accord with politicians burning the US flag and the country’s Supreme Leader Ayatollah Ali Khamenei warning that ‘America can’t do a damn thing’.
As European powers scrambled to salvage the agreement today, Juncker said it was up to the EU to take on the mantle of the US, adding: ‘At this point, we have to replace the United States, which as an international actor has lost vigor, and because of it, in the long term, influence.’