- Trump Has Lost Control Over the Pentagon
The Pentagon’s more aggressive military approach
Here is a short timeline of the Pentagon taking the presidential commander-in-chief power from Trump. The ultimatums came on March 1. On March 1, 2017 the Atlantic’s article “Trump and the Generals” announced that Trump’s military leaders “increasingly sound like they’re working for a different president altogether.”
They complained about the lack of funding, even after Trump pledged to give them additional $54 billion that were cut from the budget of non-military agencies. Right after the budget announcement, it became immediately obvious that the Pentagon considered this sum to be ridiculously small for their ambitions.
They also balked at Trump’s election promise to fire many “Obama’s generals.” One of those generals openly voicing their opposition to Trump’s policies is General Tony Thomas of U.S. Special Operations Command. He reportedly said that “he wanted Americans to understand those elite counterterrorism operations are occurring nightly.” Meaning that they not just need more money, but more independence to operate.
As per the Atlantic, the “generals don’t much like to talk about “winning” against terrorism. They understand and tell the public and congress that the United States is in a 10-, 30-, 100- year battle against a multi-generational ideological war of ideas that goes far beyond the military battlefield.”
The article links to the Center for a New American Security’s publication: Virtual Caliphate – Defeating ISIL on the Physical Battlefield Is Not Enough. The same article in the Atlantic also went on listing some other problems that the Generals had with Trump.
“Over and over, Trump has heard his generals, then gone to the microphone or Twitter and ignored them—a pattern he began on the campaign trail. In September, Trump said he’d likely place new generals in charge of the ISIS war and that the ones in charge had been “embarrassing” under Obama, who he said had marginalized them.”