- Obama Responds To Saudi Threat To Dump Treasuries If Its Role In Sept 11 Is Probed
by Tyler Durden, www.zerohedge.com
This weekend’s biggest, and most shocking story, was the report that in response to a proposed Congressional Bill that would allow a probe into the Saudi role behind the Sept 11 terrorist attack, Saudi Arabia had threatened the US with dumping its roughly $750 billion in Treasury holdings.
What was curious about the story is that while Saudi Arabia implicitly admitted it had a role in the September 11, the Obama administration was actively doing everything in its power to prevent the Bill from passing, and thus to keep the truth under wraps, leading many to wonder if Obama was more concerned about his own people or a handful of uber-wealthy Saudi princes.
Moments ago White House spokesman Josh Earnest chimed in, and validated all of those fears.
* EARNEST: BILL WOULD OPEN U.S. TO GLOBAL LEGAL VULNERABILITIES
* WHITE HOUSE SAYS IT IS CONFIDENT THAT SAUDIS RECOGNIZE THE SHARED INTEREST WITH THE U.S. IN PROTECTING STABILITY OF INTERNATIONAL FINANCIAL SYSTEM
* EARNEST: DON’T KNOW IF BILL WILL BE TOPIC ON OBAMA SAUDI VISIT
And the punchline:
* EARNEST COMMENTS ON BILL TO ALLOW LAWSUITS BY SEPT. 11 FAMILIES
* EARNEST SAYS BILL TO ALLOW LAWSUITS AGAINST SAUDI CONCERNING
* EARNEST: OBAMA WOULDN’T SIGN SUE-SAUDI BILL AS DRAFTED
In short: whether due to the Saudi threat, or just because of its default position on the matter, Obama will block the Bill and no further probes into Saudi involvement in the Sept 11 tragedy will be allowed.