Bloodbath at BBC as Chief Quits!
- Bloodbath at BBC as chief quits: Sensation as Director General is forced out for ‘shoddy journalism’ – and more tipped to go!
by Simon Walters, Glen Owen and Mark Duell, http://www.dailymail.co.uk/
– George Entwistle says he was doing ‘honourable thing’ by standing down
– His decision comes just seven weeks after taking up £450,000-a-year job
– Former Tory Minister: ‘Winnie the Pooh would have been more effective’
– BBC Trust chairman describes ‘one of saddest evenings of my public life’
– Lord Patten admits Entwistle was ‘overwhelmed before he was able to act’
– Home Secretary Theresa May: ‘Entwistle took the right decision last night’
The director-general of the BBC sensationally quit tonight in the aftermath of the scandalous Newsnight report smearing senior Tory Lord McAlpine over false child sex abuse claims. George Entwistle announced his resignation 12 hours after he was humiliated in a BBC interview by John Humphrys over his handling of the issue.
In a dramatic statement at 9pm last night, Mr Entwistle resigned following pressure from senior Government sources and from within the BBC itself. He said he was doing the ‘honourable thing’ by standing down from his £450,000-a-year job – just seven weeks after taking it up.