- Direct Confrontation Between Russia And NATO is a Matter of Weeks
by Olga Lebedeva, https://english.pravda.ru/
Several insiders reported that NATO had allegedly decided to officially enter the conflict with Russia on the side of Ukraine in the coming weeks or even days. Such announcements were heard from officials of the Polish Ministry of Defence, the General Staff of the NATO alliance, officers of the French army and (of course) the Ukrainian Ministry of Defence.
Boris Karpov, a documentary filmmaker and author of the Chronicles of Russia Telegram channel, expressed his point of view on the subject in an article published on Rusreinfo website. According to him, NATO fears that Russia will launch a “general offensive” that will destroy the Ukrainian army not only in the Donbass, but also in the territories that remain under Kyiv’s control. The NATO leadership does not even doubt that Russian units located near the Belarusian-Ukrainian border will strike those territories in the first place.
“NATO has always been very clear: Ukraine SHALL NOT LOSE. Thus, the only solution for Washington is to deploy alliance troops in Ukraine in a hope that this will stop the Russian offensive. They hope that Vladimir Putin will not want to confront NATO directly given the possible (nuclear) consequences, and he will therefore retreat,” Karpov wrote.
However, the author of the article continues, despite the belligerent rhetoric, NATO’s direct intervention in the Ukrainian conflict (i.e. war with Russia) could be impossible for several reasons:
- on the one hand, NATO talks about the current shortage of ammunition and equipment against the backdrop of massive arms shipments to Ukraine;
- on the other hand, the peoples of Europe are hardly ready to support the war, since they are now more concerned with their survival in the winter season.
What French insiders say
The French army is currently divided into three groups:
- bellicose officers who have never seen a war up close;
- those who want to remain neutral because they think it is better for the French army to protect the interests of France;
- those who believe that this conflict does not concern the French, and they do not need to interfere in it.
Meanwhile, exercises to prepare for high-intensity war have been going on in France since March. At first they were held in Central France at military bases in sparsely populated areas. Now the French military men practice skills of conducting combat actions under conditions of urban settlements.
As for President Macron’s statements who said that he would like the conflict to end as a result of peaceful negotiations, French officers believe that this is just a red herring to give the US and EU time to replenish their arms stocks.