- Mask-Free Sweden is Close To ZERO Daily Covid Deaths as Country’s Chief Epidemiologist Plays Down Fears Over Delta Variant’s Infectiousness
by ROSS IBBETSON FOR MAILONLINE, https://www.dailymail.co.uk/
* In last 14 days, Sweden recorded average of less than one Covid death per day
* Compares with 74 deaths in UK and 329 deaths in US per day over same period
* Sweden dropped its last remaining mask rule – for public transport – on July 1
* But health chiefs in UK and US warn masks must remain because of Delta variant
Mask-free Sweden is approaching zero Covid deaths per day while the country’s chief epidemiologist has swatted away fears over the Delta variant’s infectiousness. In the last two weeks, Sweden has recorded an average of 0.6 Covid deaths per day, this compares with 74 fatalities in the UK and 329 deaths in US per day over the same period.
Although it has the highest per capita death toll of its Scandinavian neighbours, Sweden has kept its economy afloat throughout the pandemic with its reluctance to enforce tough social distancing rules or lockdowns.
At the beginning of July it dropped its last remaining mask mandate – for public transport – while health chiefs in the US and the UK are arguing that face coverings must still to be worn to stop the spread of the rampant Delta (Indian) variant.
The US Centres for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) on Friday warned the Delta variant was as infectious as chickenpox – but Anders Tegnell, the architect of Sweden’s Covid strategy, cautioned against such sweeping analogies.