- Netanyahu Can Now Swing Right Or Left on Trump Peace Deal, Annexation
by TOVAH LAZAROFF, https://m.jpost.com/
The deal may have saved the Trump administration’s peace deal by rescuing Netanyahu from what was shaping up to be a suicidal choice between the Israeli Right or the US President.
In a strange way, Blue and White Party head Benny Gantz might have just given his political arch-rival Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu a lifeline when it comes to his diplomatic legacy and the Israeli-Palestinian conflict. The deal between the two men on Monday night didn’t just end the 17 months of electoral turmoil, during which Israel endured a historic, never-before-seen cycle of three back-to-back elections.
It has also possibly saved the Trump administration’s peace deal, by rescuing Netanyahu from what was shaping up to be a suicidal choice between the Israeli Right or the US president. With regard to the former, Netanyahu could have lost his political base and possibly his government. With the latter, he could have lost the support of his chief diplomatic ally, US President Donald Trump.
It’s a Gordian knot of a dilemma, which has crystalized in the last three months. The Israeli Right has applauded the portion of the Trump plan that allows for the application of sovereignty over 30% of Area C in the West Bank. It has, however, simultaneously insisted that Netanyahu reject the part of the plan that supports the creation of a demilitarized Palestinian state in the remaining 70%. The Trump administration has linked authorization of sovereignty to Israeli support for a demilitarized Palestinian state. Netanyahu had already agreed to the creation of such a state in his 2009 Bar-Ilan speech, but that was eleven years ago.