- The UK is Abandoning Its Alliance with Trump as the United States ‘Withdraws from Its Leadership Around the World’
by Adam Bienkov, Business Insider US
* The UK threatens to tear up its defence alliance with the US after Trump’s Iran crisis triggers a rupture between the two countries.
* UK Defence Secretary Ben Wallace says that the UK is looking to forge stronger alliances with other international partners which share its priorities.
* He says the US risks “[withdrawing] from its leadership” of the world under Trump.
* Wallace also reveals Trump threatened to tear up its intelligence-sharing relationship with the UK.
Donald Trump’s decision to assassinate Qassem Soleimani has triggered a major rupture between the United States and its historically closest ally in the United Kingdom. In remarkably outspoken comments, UK Defence Secretary Ben Wallace said on Sunday that Trump’s isolationist foreign policy stance meant the UK was now looking for alternative allies around the world.
“I worry if the United States withdraws from its leadership around the world,” he told the Sunday Times. He added: “The assumptions of 2010 that we were always going to be part of a US coalition is really just not where we are going to be.”