- Israel Kill Hamas Commander in Airstrike And ‘Prepares Gaza Ground Invasion’ as It Hits Back After 600 Militant Rockets Kill Four And Injure 66
by JACK ELSOM and HENRY MARTIN and GEORGE MARTIN FOR MAILONLINE and AFP
* An Israeli man, 58, became the first citizen to be killed in the Middle East hostilities since the 2014 war
* Seven Palestinians, including a pregnant mother and her baby daughter, were also reportedly killed
* Israeli PM Netanyahu said Hamas is paying a ‘heavy price’ and has ordered ground troops up to Gaza’s border
* Three Israelis, including an 80-year-old woman, were also wounded by rocket fire in the weekend of combat
Israel has reportedly killed a Hamas commander in a series of airstrikes amid reports it is planning to invade Gaza following a series of skirmishes with Palestinians. A military statement said that commander Hamed Ahmed Abed Khudri had been killed in a targeted air strike on his car on Sunday.
Khudri was reportedly responsible for transferring funds from Iran to armed factions in Gaza. Palestinian witnesses said he was killed in an air strike on his car. Four Israelis and 22 Palestinians, including two pregnant woman and an infant, have died so far in air strikes which began as Palestinians fired 600 rockets across the border on Friday. It comes as Israel’s ground troops are reportedly preparing to siege the Gaza perimeter.
Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu says Hamas, the dissident group which rules Gaza, is paying a ‘heavy price’ for its attacks on his country. And he has ordered a large military corps up to the besieged enclave as the month-long ceasefire is left in tatters.