- Italy Vows to DEFY EU Threats Over Its Budget and Says It ‘Will Never Kneel Again’ as ‘Worried’ Euro Officials Prepare to Hit New Populist Government with Huge Fines for Defying Rules
by CHRIS DYER FOR MAILONLINE and AFP and AP, https://www.dailymail.co.uk/
* Deputy Prime Minister Matteo Salvini said Italy ‘will not kneel’ to EU over budget
* Proposing tax cuts and a minimum income for the unemployed to treble deficit
* Italy warned by EU it faces unprecedented fines if radical budget is still passed
* Country already owes 2.3 trillion euros which is around 131 per cent of its GDP
* Italy’s jobless rate is more than ten per cent – way above the eurozone average
Italy has threatened to defy the EU and press ahead with its anti-austerity budget which could lead to unprecedented fines. Deputy Prime Minister Matteo Salvini said Italy ‘will never kneel again’ over plans to increase the country’s deficit to three times what it was under the previous government. The draft budget agreed last month, called for tax cuts and a minimum income for the unemployed. Both of these measures would increase Italy’s deficit at a time when Brussels is pressuring Rome to reduce its debt.