- WW3 FEARS: Almost Half of Russians Feel Syria Crisis Could Spark New Global Conflict
by SIMON OSBORNE, http://www.express.co.uk/
NEARLY half of all Russians fear global military conflict could be sparked by growing tensions between Vladimir Putin and the West over Syria, a poll has shown.
The survey found 48 per cent saw the probability of World War Three in the near future as high or very high. Researchers from private opinions pollster Levada said 52 per cent approved of their country’s involvement in the Syrian conflict while 26 per cent had a negative or sharply negative attitude Russia’s intervention. Those who thought Russia should continue the operation and those who thought that airstrikes should be stopped were divided 49 per cent against 28 per cent respectively, with 24 per cent finding the question too difficult to answer.
A separate poll conducted earlier this month by state-run research centre VTSIOM showed 73 per cent of Russians believed Western criticism of Mr Putin’s ruthless bombing of the Syrian city of Aleppo was unfounded and based on prejudice.
The airstrikes on the war-ravaged city began on September 30 after Moscow agreed to help Syrian leader Bashar al-Assad defeat rebel forces. The policy was condemned by human rights groups and Western governments when it became clear hospitals, bakeries and other civilian sites were being targeted by Russian jets as they bombed rebel areas in the eastern suburbs of the city.