- The picture Cardinal Keith O’Brien probably wishes he had never posed for: UK’s top Catholic was long-standing friend of Savile!
by Steve Doughty and Larisa Brown, http://www.dailymail.co.uk/
– Cardinal Keith O’Brien faces claims of inappropriate attention by four priests
– One unnamed priest alleges ‘unwanted behaviour’ after late-night drinking
– Another unnamed priest said he was 18 when ‘inappropriately approached’
– O’Brien, 74, steps down as Archbishop of St Andrew’s and Edinburgh today
– Will no longer travel to Rome to help elect successor to Pope Benedict XVI
Britain’s most senior Catholic cleric – Cardinal Keith O’Brien – stands alongside his long-standing friend, Jimmy Savile. Pictured giving a thumbs-up, he is seen grinning alongside the paedophile at a fund-raising event in Edinburgh six years ago.
The former leader of Scotland’s Catholics stepped down yesterday amid accuations of ‘inappropriate acts’ towards fellow priests. He strongly denies all claims against him.
Cardinal Keith O’Brien was among many high-powered supporters of Savile who did not know about the entertainer’s sexual abuse of children.
He met the former DJ and charity fundraiser in the 1970s when O’Brien was a priest in Kilsyth, north Lanarkshire, and worked with a friend of Savile’s mother. They were pictured together in Scotland in 2007 as the pair unveiled a £375,000 vehicle for the disabled.
When the Savile scandal emerged, the cardinal called for him to be stripped of his papal knighthood. Following Savile’s death, Cardinal O’Brien said: ‘My friendship with Jimmy Savile developed over many years since I was assistant priest in St Patrick’s Parish, Kilsyth.